January 11, 2009

What it means to be a Mother

When did becoming a mother mean that you could not, for the rest of your life, eat a hot meal?
This is lunch here: "Lucas I'm making ____. Do you want some?"
Lucas, "No, I don't like that."
Me, "Yes you do, you eat it all the time."
Lucas, "No, I'm not hungry. I don't want any munch." (he calls lunch munch)
Me, "OK, fine, don't eat."
I will make my plate, sit down and start to eat when he comes and either says he is hungry, but wants something else that I then have to get up and make or take the finger I just seen in his nose and put it in my food. Why does that happen? Lucas isn't the only one that does it, but he does it the most.

When did becoming a mother mean that you could not, for the rest of your life, take a shower by yourself? With Jason being gone all the time, of course if I just have to take a shower when the kids are awake, the door has to be left open. I try to wait to shower when they are all asleep. That doesn't always happen. Why does everyone need to use the bathroom or need to tell me something as soon as I get in there? When Jason is at home and I should be able to go in there by myself, WRONG! He thinks he has to be in there.

How can the kids be fine all day long, playing good, taking their naps, everything perfect, until the phone rings? It does not matter if I will be on the phone 1 second or 1 hour, they go into full on melt downs, fist fights and anything else they can think to do. Does the telephone ringer have some kind of secret tone thing that only kids can hear? I don't know if that one will ever be figured out.

These are the only gripes I have about motherhood today, check back, I'm sure I'll have more.

Here are some of the most lovely things about motherhood:
When Nicolas wakes up in the morning with that big ole smile on his face because he is happy to see ME.
When Lucas wraps his arms around my neck and says "Mommy I love you the most in the world."
When Jacob giggles at the t.v. and still has that little baby giggle that I hope so much never goes away.
When everything in the house is quiet, I go to see what is going on, and they are all asleep and look so angelic and I cannot believe that those babies are part of me.

Even though I have some mommy gripes, which I am sure most mommies do, I would never want to be anything else. I absolutely love those smelly, always dirty, boys more than anything in the world, more than hot food, more than taking a shower in peace, and way more than being able to receive a call!

Kathy

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your blogs! You are very funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I eat lunch alone when they go down for naps. Im usually about to starve by the time they go to sleep!! And its very true about the phone thing!

    ReplyDelete