February 15, 2010

No title...

I have no title for this because it's going to start on one subject and end on another. Last week I went to parent teacher conferences for Jacob and Lucas. Lucas is doing surprisingly well. He is ready to read, and they are going to begin teaching him this week! I was amazed that they told me this. Sometimes, most of the time, I wonder if he understands anything that comes out of my mouth, and they have him ready to read? He also knew most of the other things he was questioned about.
Jacob's report was also perfect academically. The only thing his teacher has a 'problem' with is Jacob's shyness I guess. I can't remember exactly what she said, but basically she said since the beginning of the year he has come out of his shell, but isn't where she thinks he should be.
This brings me to the rant! I am saying this because I know someone else who got a talk about their child being shy. What is it with these teachers? What happened to the days when they wanted the kids to sit there and be quiet, now they want them talking non-stop? I am saying right now there is nothing wrong with a child that does not want to talk all the time, or is shy. I personally know the other child whose parents were basically told the same thing, and there is nothing wrong with that kid either! I went to this school, back when it was Kindergarten all the way up to sixth grade, and probably only spoke 10 words the entire time I was there. I am not saying that I am perfect, but I do not believe that I am not as normal as the person in the class that was the most outgoing. Let me say something else, I also do not want my children to be shy, I hope that they are outgoing, but I am not going to push it on them. They will be who they are.
These 'talks' made me feel like I should take an 8 year old to a psychiatrist to be evaluated. Like there is something terribly wrong with him. I know there isn't, but sometimes as a parent, you get questioned about what you are or are not doing. As a mother, I constantly question every choice I make concerning my children. When someone else says something, especially a teacher who is with your child more than you are, you question your choices. You may question them for a minute, a day, or a month, but you do it. So, I let this woman do this to me. I have since decided that there is nothing wrong with him or the way I am dealing with his self-confidence issues.
I just hate that I let this woman do this to me. I can semi-understand where they are coming from, but REALLY? Do they not have any thing else to do? Are there not more pressing issues at that place then a few kids that are shy? Maybe I'm just over reacting, but I do not think I am. I do not need someone questioning me. If I was doing drugs, or Jake was showing up at school without shoes or something, question my parenting abilities, but to question me because I have a shy child is ridiculous. What do you all think?

3 comments:

  1. I dont think there is anything wrong with Jake or a kid being shy. Look at Tucker-he is shy and although it comes out as "grumpy," he is actually shy and thats just fine. Jack is outgoing, Tucker isnt. They are well-adjusted and happy so thats all I care about.

    You know there are those moments as a mom where you have that voice that says "this isnt right..." meaning there ARE moments when I know I need to listen to that little voice in my head and make some changes. But you are right...we really dont have to consider EVERY question/criticism as something that needs to be fixed or changed. I will always keep an open mind, simply bc (like you said) there will be times when a teacher, grandparent, etc. will see things I may not see. Maybe it might be something I can totally blow off, or something to tuck away in the back of my mind...either way, we know our children better than anyone else. Be confident that God gave you your kids bc YOU are the best mommy in the world for Jacob, Lucas and Nicolas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well said Paula... I dido that, as mommies sometimes we are blinded,but we do know best. And when you hear something that is questionable, trust your instincts on the issue. And try really hard not to loose your cool when people throw things out there...Just trust your confidence that you know best and don't get caught in the anger trap!
    Man, I'm really dreading all this school stuff... why can't our babies just stay babies....
    Oh and congrats on going back to school Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't angry, I was just questioning the matter too much, and thinking about it non-stop! I know that these teachers would be telling me that Jake had ADD or ADHD if he was talking all the time. I just wonder when it became such a problem!
    Thanks Rachel, it's very difficult, but I'm doing it. 10-10-10 I'll be done!

    ReplyDelete